“Share the Spirit”
The Torch Relay is a time-honoured tradition, originating with the Olympics. When we think about the Torch Relay, we think about connecting people, connecting communities and building excitement for the upcoming Games. “Share the Spirit” Torch Relay expresses the connection we have here in the southwest from our prairie fields to the field of play. A role that is evident in our opening ceremony theme of “The Spirit of Play.” Which reminds us all the roots we have in traditional field games and activities.
Please join us:
• August 3, 2019– Swift Current, Market Square 10 AM ceremony, followed by the Torch Relay
• August 4, 2019– Lac Pelletier Regional Park, Ona’s Beach (south end); Torch Relay starts at the north end of the lake at 10 AM, ceremony to follow the Relay at Ona’s Beach
• August 5, 2019– Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park Main Beach; Relay starts at 1 PM, ceremony to follow the Relay at the Main Beach
The 2019 Western Canada Summer Games Host Society is looking for torchbearers to “Get in the Game” and “Share the Spirit” of the 2019 Western Canada Summer Games coming this August.
Nominate an individual whom you believe embodies the core characteristics of the relay: celebration, community, participation and pride. The nominee may be a person that has excelled athletically or personally, a positive role model, impacting the lives of those around them. Someone who has enhanced the fabric of your community, embodies the spirit of volunteerism or is a hometown hero. Selected torch bearers will be a variety of ages, backgrounds, and abilities from Saskatchewan.
The following criteria is required for becoming a torchbearer:
- Be able to (run/walk/wheel/cycle or paddle) up to 1 kilometre on the assigned day;
- Be prepared to spend several hours participating on the selected day;
- Be willing to travel at your expense to the assigned community meeting point;
- Wear the provided torchbearer uniform for the duration of your torchbearer experience;
- Meet the minimum age of 13;
- Consent to undertake and successfully complete a security back ground check if requested;
- Sign the participation waiver before your assigned relay day; and
- Agree to being recorded for video purposes, have your photo, and bio published by the 2019 Western Canada Summer Games for the purpose of promoting the Summer.
There are paper copies are available at:
•Games Office 751 Lorne St W
•Library 411 Herbert St E
•City Hall 177 1st St NE
Selected torchbearers will be notified by email or phone by early May 2019.
Deadline for the nominations is March 31, 2019.
To nominate a candidate please fill out the following form and click “SUBMIT”.